One cool, collected Englishwoman, one globetrotting journey and one all-or-nothing gamble

This could easily end in tears...

Monday, 9 January 2012

Introduction


"Calm and phlegmatic, with a clear eye...he gave the idea of of being perfectly well balanced, as exactly regulated as a Leroy chronometer"
From Jules Verne's Around the World in Eighty Days


Hello, you. Yes, you. Don't turn over the page. My name is Francesca, and, if you've got the time and I've got the courage, you and me just might go on a journey together.

I'm afraid I'm not very interesting. I'm eighteen, small and unprepossessing, and suffering from the highly anti-social personality disorder of thinking I'm funny. Unfortunately, I'm not oppressed by a dictatorial regime, although sometimes with the amount of homework I get it feels like it, nor a lesbian, although my dad occasionally says my haircut looks a bit butch, nor indeed a fictional character, which is a shame, because they seem to have all the fun. But nonetheless I'm in a bit of a pickle.

You see, just before Christmas time I went through what hundreds of kids up and down the country who in all modesty thought they were kind of clever went through. I got rejected from Oxford. Oh, dear, I hear you say. Diddums. They've got a drought on down in Africa, don't you know. Move on.

                                            The big bad nasty rejection letter. Boo, hiss...

Well, yes, that would be the sane point of view. Trouble is, this is somewhere I've wanted to go since I was fourteen. And I'm a stubborn little son of a bitch when I put my mind to it.  I took part in a protest when I was in primary school against our favourite climing trees being chopped down (we chanted slogans at our teacher). So, after the weeping, and the self-pity, and the deciding I was the stupidest person in the world ever,  I was left saying: really? Are you sure?

I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed by the soul-sapping drudgery that is A-levels and university entrance anyway, and wondering whether it was the right thing to go straight to university. But it was the easier way, so I shook the doubts off. I told myself I'd take a gap year after uni, but in my heart of hearts was scared I would chicken out.

So here's the plan: I take a gap year. I reapply to Oxford, to a different, less bitchy college, and work to get some money. And in the nine or so months remaining to me, I do all the stuff I've wanted to do for ages, like visit Moscow, work in Berlin, go on the trans-Siberian railway. And maybe I'll pop in on my folks in South Africa for a couple of months while I'm at it.

I know it's crazy. I've got an offer from Durham, which I would probably be throwing away if I reapplied. I could always do postgrad, or just stick two fingers up at the snooty bastards in their draughty little colleges and have done with it. Trouble is, I've only got one life, and I believe in living it to the full. And wondering "what if" and regretting in my old age scares me more than losing out on Durham. Besides, the world's probably gonna end in December 2012 anyway.

So, there you have it. The wager's been laid. And maybe I'll lose it and go to neither Durham nor Oxford. Maybe I'll chicken out and settle and go to Durham, which will make this blog kind of awkward. Or maybe I'll get run over by a bus tomorrow.

Either way, should be an interesting year. Care to join me?



16 comments:

  1. Why you no get Tumblr?? :S

    Also, I like the balloons. And the writing is pretty nifty too ;)

    See you around xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw,ta.:) Exciting, someone's actually reading this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, can't work out how to leave a comment so I'll have to use the reply button and hope that works. I love your writing: its got humour, rhythm and a neat turn of phrase. Get on with a novel in your year out if you take one. It takes time to nail the technique of structuring things at length. You might turn a book out in the year or not but you'd have started working out what kind of writer you are and your direction. Maybe you should even consider a degree in creative writing.... The only place worth going to so people say is UEA which runs a course respected in the industry. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, thanks, that is what I eventually want to do:)- I do write books at the moment, just none that are quite up to my standard. As for a creative writing course- well, for me, and this is only for me, mind,my writing is something too personal and too beloved for me to study officially. The characters and settings of History, to me, will always provide wonderful stories and be inspiring.

      Delete
  3. haha,I love your writing.And the gap year idea is fantastic!! actually I applied for Ox as well and got no replay yet.But I guess it would be a rejection.Coz you know, it's OXFORD! Well, at least we tried and that's what matters! You are cute and special.It's a shame that my English is not good enough to express all my feelings after reading this article. Anyway, wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? They haven't got back to you yet? That's just cruel. Everyone I know has heard from Oxford. Seriously, I'd ring them up, sounds like it got lost in the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is quite amazing! I love your idea of working in Berlin (THE most beautiful city Ive seen) and visiting Moscow!(ENVY ;) )
    Good luck and might i suggest you write a travelblog! Hope all your plans pan out! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was bitchy about the college? Did you form your opinion from your experience at interview? I'm scared now!
    Or does less bitchy=less academic?
    Good luck with everything x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like you and your sense of humour. How stubborn are you? I reapplied to Oxbridge (2*) and finally got in. When I say I'm going to do something I do it, and it seems like you might be the same in that regard.

    You are probably not dumb, given how amusingly your blog reads. I would reapply if I were you; I'm sure you can succeed. Just remember the interview process is both random and pretty arbitrary.

    The best you can do is come across as really bubbly and confident. After all, the interviewers aren't really going to be able to assess your mind in a couple of hours, the best they can get is a snapshot. And even after the interviews, they are likely to forget what you said. All they will be left with as an impression of you. There are tens of candidates to be interviewed and I'm sure the details of interviews get lost in the jumble as time passes. Yet the one thing that remains is an impression, a gut feeling.

    Good luck, x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this might also help but when I applied to Oxford this last time, I barely cared about getting a place. I think that made me calm and relaxed at interview and helped me secure my place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also did some research on my tutors interests beforehand so we had something to talk about. To stand out, I think you have to click with your interviewers on a personal level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I think mostly I was just overawed by the interviewers in my second interview, who gave me the whole bad cop/bad cop treatment- definitely think being nervous did not help.

    Oh, and no, the college wasn't "bitchy", it was lovely, just bitchy because it didn't let me in...

    Anyway, will probably be posting again tomorrow, if you guys wanna read some more. If your friends would also be interested in this, and you could let them know, that would also be nice...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Xavier Greenwood13 January 2012 at 13:54

    Hi, I saw your link to this on TSR. I'm just letting you know I'm in a similar position to you, with a Durham offer but a rejection from Oxbridge (Cam) for English. I think like you I'm going to give it another shot, as the potential for regret is probably greater if you stick with Durham than if you get rejected by Durham and Oxford the next year, but still go to a great uni! The trans-Siberian idea sounds fantastic though, my Dad did it on his gap year and he loved it - I'm thinking about doing it as well if I take a year out.

    Oh yeah, the signature on your rejection letter is almost identical to the one on my Cambridge one. Coincidence? Probably... I'll read this blog with interest if you do choose to take a gap year and I may make one myself if I'm feeling audacious... What subject did you apply for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, we can be buddies! And I wouldn't be so sure it's not the same signature. I bet it's all a big rejection conspiracy...

    (Oh, and it's History, by the way. Kinda left that out. Oops...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got rejected from Oxford two years ago (for Economics) and again last year (I reapplied whilst at Warwick). It kinda sucks to be rejected but good luck to you. :) Your gap year plans sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh and it's true you only do live once. I wish so badly I had got in but life goes on.

    ReplyDelete